Harvey Help

Mortgage Assistance
Fannie Mae works directly with mortgage servicers to offer special options for those impacted by disasters. Eligible homeowners who are having difficulty paying their Fannie Mae mortgage may qualify for:

·         A forbearance to temporarily suspend or reduce mortgage payments for up to 12 months

·         No late charges for missed payments

·         No reporting of missed payments to credit rating agencies while payments are suspended

·         A loan modification to avoid a burdensome repayment or higher monthly payments after a forbearance

·         Possible suspension of legal proceedings (i.e., foreclosure)

If your home is impacted by a natural disaster, it is imperative that you contact your servicer as soon as possible.


Get Help Now

1.    Call your mortgage company/servicer (the company listed on your monthly mortgage statement) to see what options you qualify for. If you do not have access to your mortgage records, you can check our Contact Your Mortgage Company list or search online for contact information.

o    You can use the Fannie Mae Loan Lookup to confirm whether Fannie Mae owns your loan—a requirement for Fannie Mae mortgage assistance.

o    If Fannie Mae owns your loan, the Loan Lookup also provides the name and contact information for your mortgage company.

o    You can also call 1-800-2FANNIE (1-800-232-6643) to check.

2.    Contact a Fannie Mae Mortgage Help Network partner if you need additional assistance or if you are having difficulty working with or reaching your mortgage company. Free personal assistance is available in person or over the phone (English and Spanish) through our Mortgage Help Network.



Property Damage and HCAD

Harris County homeowners who suffered damage from Hurricane Harvey can report damage to HCAD through its upgraded app available for Apple or Android phones.  You can also report damage at 713.812.5805 by providing your name, address, phone number and account number, if you have it, along with the type of property damage and amount of water you received. You can also email that information to help@hcad.org . Reporting property damage now will help the appraisal district identify the most damaged neighborhoods and properties to help homeowners next year when property is reappraised.

Does Damage From The Recent Flooding Affect My Property Value?

Many homeowners in Harris County have experienced property damage due to Hurricane Harvey and the flooding that followed.   As a courtesy, we want to remind you that the appraised value of your property for 2017 is set based on the home’s condition as of January 1 of this year.  We appraise property every year on January 1, so recent flood damage to your home that is not repaired by January 1, 2018, may be reflected in next year’s value.  If you have already filed a protest and have not yet had your informal meeting or ARB hearing, please be aware that the recent flooding will not affect the taxable value of your property for this year.  Under the state tax code, property reappraisal is not done after a disaster unless requested by one or more taxing jurisdictions.

Helpful resources!


Fannie Mae

Check to see if Fannie Mae owns your loan at: www.KnowYourOptions.com/loanlookup

Additional assistance? Call 1-800-2FANNIE (1-800-232-6643), or go to: www.KnowYourOptions.com/relief

Freddie Mac

Check to see if Freddie Mac owns your loan at: www.freddiemac.com/mymortgage

Additional assistance? Call 1-800-373-3343 and select option #2, or go to: www.freddiemac.com


The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers assistance and information about dealing with a disaster on their website at www.fema.gov. Also, visit their website to find information specific to Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma at www.fema.gov/hurricane-harvey and www.fema.gov/hurricane-irma. To locate federal, state, and local resources and assistance, you can also go to www.disasterassistance.gov.

Other Resources

Other helpful resources can be found on The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website at www.hud.gov and the American Red Cross website at www.redcross.org/get-help.